Black Forest Gateau
This cake is a German classic that was the go to cake in the ’80s. Sure to impress with it’s delicate layers of light chocolate sponge filled with freshly whipped cream and cherry jam
Preparation Time – 40 minutes
Cook Time- 30 minutes
Makes – 1 triple layer cake
250g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
5 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
750ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
350g Homecook 72% Dark chocolate (grated)
- Heat oven to 170°C. Lightly grease 3 x 20cm (8in) x 4cm (1½in) deep cake tins, and line the bases with baking paper.
- For the cake layers, place the softened butter and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until smooth, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and cocoa until smooth. The mixture should be of a soft, dropping consistency when the spoon is tapped on the side of the bowl. If it seems too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of milk and mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the three tins, level it out with a palette knife and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. The cakes should be golden brown and spring back when touched in the centre with your finger.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Carefully peel off the base paper and leave the sponges to get completely cold.
- For the filling: whisk the cream until thickened. Sift in the icing sugar and 2 tbsp kirsch and whisk until thick. Sprinkle the cake layers with the remaining kirsch.
- Spread half the jam over the lower layer, then half the cream. Place the second layer of cake on top and repeat with most of the remaining jam and all the cream.
- Lay the top layer of cake in place and cover the top and sides of the cake with cream. Using the grated chocolate, cover the sides of the cake completely and then finish by piping cream swirls on the top and decorating with cherries and chocolate shavings.