Chocolate Chunk Muffins
These are the tastiest chocolate muffins, packed full of chocolate chunks in a moist sponge. Even more delicious when served still slightly warm!
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time- 15 – 20 minutes
Makes – 12
- 280g plain flour
- 75g cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml buttermilk
- 55g unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee , optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170g Homecook Dark 72% Cocoa, chopped into chunks
- Preheat oven to 220C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with baking cases.
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave, and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add sugar and mix. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, oil, melted butter, coffee granules and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not over mix. The batter should be thick and lumpy. Add chocolate chunks and stir.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cups and fill them almost all the way to the top. Bake for 3 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 180C. Continue to bake for an additional 12-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.