Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
These cookies are a cut above the rest because they’re as rich and fudgy as brownies. Chilling the cookie dough is important because it helps the flavours to develop, prevents spreading, and makes the otherwise sticky cookie dough easy to handle.
Preparation Time – 30 minutes
Chilling Time- overnight
Cook Time- 11 minutes
Makes – 20
125g self raising flour
53g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
115g unsalted butter, room temperature
100g granulated sugar
100g brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
180g Homecook Dark 72% Cocoa, roughly chopped
35g granulated sugar
120g icing sugar
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together on medium high speed until light & fluffy, this will take about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined, then beat in the chopped chocolate. The cookie dough will be thick and sticky. Cover dough tightly with tinfoil or clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours but ideally overnight.
- Remove cookie dough from the fridge and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. You can preheat the oven during this time.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each, into balls. Roll each ball very lightly in granulated sugar, then generously in the confectioners’ sugar. Place 3 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes. If the cookies aren’t really spreading by minute 9, remove them from the oven and lightly bang the baking sheet on the counter 2-3 times. Return to the oven for a couple more minutes.
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.