Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
These chocolate sandwich cookies are next level delicious. They have two chewy, fudgy double chocolate cookies with sweet and creamy frosting in the middle. Like an extra decadent, homemade Oreo cookie
Preparation Time – 45 minutes
Cook Time- 10 minutes
Makes – 15 sandwich cookies
- 125g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 140g unsalted butter softened (not melted)
- 150g cup lightly packed brown sugar light or dark
- 70g white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175g Homecook Dark Cocoa 72% chocolate, roughly chopped
- 110g unsalted butter softened
- 250g icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons cream or milk
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until no longer lumpy. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture about ½ at a time. The batter will be thick.
- Mix in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.*
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180C degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- Form the dough into balls of about 1 tablespoon of batter each. Place the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets. Use a cookie scoop for this. If the dough is too hard to form into balls, let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes to soften up first.
- Bake the cookies 1 sheet at a time in the middle rack of the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops look just set. Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the vanilla butter cream. In a large bowl, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Add in ¾ of the icing sugar and salt. Beat on low speed and increase to medium speed as the powder sugar starts to incorporate.
- Beat in the rest of the icing sugar if needed, and the cream 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired sweetness and thickness is reached.
- Once the cookies are fully cooled spread about 1-2 tablespoons of frosting onto the bottom of 1 cookie and place a second cookie on top so that the bottoms are on the inside.