Ultimate Chocolate Cake
Our signature chocolate cake with a chocolate fudge buttercream frosting..the only chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever need!
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cook Time- 30 minutes
- 280g plain flour
- 400g sugar
- 75g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 240ml milk or buttermilk
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml boiling water
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 100g Homecook Wonderbar Milk chocolate
- 200g butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl. Whisk through to combine.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the bowl isn’t touching the water). Stir until melted. Leave the melted chocolate to cool for 5 mins.
- Mix the butter and icing sugar together with an electric beater until a sandy consistency. Sift in the cocoa and pour in the melted chocolate, a pinch of salt and the milk, then mix again until smooth.
- Frost cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.